Dienstag, 7. August 2012

Letters on clay! (image transfer)



There is something very special to image transfer on polymer clay. The technique is simple or at least the theory is simpel. The practical side is not. It means a lot of trial, of getting a feeling for the material. But I think this is one of the reasons I am drawn to it!


You just print out your image with a laser printer (or in a copy shop). Don't use an ink jet printer because the colours have to be water resistant or better to say, they should not be solved by water. Just press the image on the polymer clay (I use fimo), let the stuff in the polymer clay have some minutes to start solving the colours out of the paper and then wet the paper on the polymer clay with water.


Now the great as well as problematic step comes: Gently start rubbing of the wet paper from the clay.... but without disturbing the transfered image / colours! The only way to get used to it: Practice! 

And don't forget, this is not about perfect image transfer. The little imperfections make your stuff beautiful and living! :)

Last but not least: They already got a new home! 



11 Kommentare:

  1. I love all the possibilities this technique opens up! :D Though polymer clay always scares me a little as a crafting material because it can break easily if not baked right.
    Can you use the same technique on wood? I remember I saw a transferred wedding picture on wood and thought it was just lovely :3

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Wow, wie genial. Das ist wunderschön geworden und die Technik finde ich faszinierend.

    Lg Sarah

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Danke :) Und die Technik macht echt Spaß sobald man die kleinen Kniffe raushat!

      Löschen
  3. I love transfers. This would be SO PRETTY to do for earrings or maybe a tag for a pretty box! If you have a minute, I'd love for you to link up to Sweet Sharing Monday - http://saynotsweetanne.com/2012/sweet-sharing-monday-17/

    AntwortenLöschen
  4. Claire, those are amazing! I love the vintage look and the detail. One of the prettiest earring designs you have ever made, I think!

    AntwortenLöschen
  5. Wonderful! Thanks so much for sharing your method. I don't know why I'm not following your blog already, I'm going to do it right now!

    AntwortenLöschen
  6. This is a wonderful Idea!! And so much easier than I would have thought! I wil have to give it a try=)

    I am now a follower=) Stop by and say "hi" sometime!

    -Adriane@ fruitfulhomejournal.blogspot.com

    AntwortenLöschen
  7. It' really nice. I love the way the colors transferred....

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Thanks! And me too! I always set the colour contrast a little bit higher before printing because the colours will always lighten up after transfer :)

      Löschen
  8. This is great! I have what is probably an obvious question. I'm assuming that you baked the clay before you transferred the image. Is that correct? Thanks for sharing at Etcetorize this week!

    AntwortenLöschen
  9. Hi, thank you for your blog first of all..i want to ask a question, when we are doing this transfer fimo is still uncooked right? and then we normally cook it?

    AntwortenLöschen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails