Dienstag, 31. Juli 2018

Seed pods - Art Elements theme of the month challenge!



This month's theme challenge was "seed pods" at Art Elements. The theme was chosen by Jennifer and I couldn't have been happier about it. Like most people - I guess - I managed only a fraction of my ideas. A little bit was related to the extreme heat wave we have in the moment, but even more simply due to work. But what I manage better and better is to take up my regular sketching habit! So I will show you mainly what is inside my sketch book. :)


I enjoy using my "coffee time" to sketch a little bit. Often I am only using a pencil in the beginning and adding some water colour several days later. 


This is an ongoing process so a lot of the sketches you see may (or may not) get more layers of colour. 


But I really enjoy starting monochromatic. This also helps me to learn more about the behaviour of my water colours and the pigments in the different paints.


Seed pods are an inspiration for me not so much in their realistic shape but rather due to the interesting colours, shapes, textures... all together they give me wonderful ideas especially for abstract designs. There are several ideas I want to try out as acrylic painting or monoprint.


The line pattern with round ovals and smaller ones within a big one I either want to translate to a stencil or stamp.


My sketch book is also a reference book for myself where I can go to if I am stuck or just general need some ideas. 


You can see here on the right side some attempts in simplifying the shapes.


And yes, poppy seed pods were really some of my favorites!


What helps me to keep my habit of sketching on a more regular basis, is to use my travel kit inside my home. A travel kit is wonderful to take on the balcony, before my computer, or anywhere else. It my sound strange because I could have everything at hand being at home but a travel kit makes it even easier.


Sometime during sketching I realized: Seed pods are aliens!


Here I am playing again with more simplified shapes as well as bright colours.


I soooooo love the Horadam water colours from Schmincke! The paper in my sketch book is not the best for them and still, the colours! *sighs happily*


The last one was sketched during a wedding from friends of my husband. In between there was a lot of waiting time and we sat outside. Yes, I take my travel kit to weddings with me ;)


This small dots will become ear studs. They are made of polymer clay and I added white acrylic ink.


These seed pods I already showed at Art Elements - you can find the tutorial I wrote for them here.


And last but not least some ceramic pendants I made and hoped to include in some summer necklaces... but no... still on my to do list ;)


I had made some molds from clay and plants and I am always surprised how well bisque fired clay can hold even the tiniest details! 


I will still work on several of the sketches I have shown here and also go on with more ideas for seed pods. This is really my theme and I so enjoyed playing and experimenting with it!

Please have a look what everyone made for this theme challenge! :)

Guest Artists:
Art Elements Team: 
Claire (you are here)

19 Kommentare:

  1. Lovely work,love your sketchbook, I think sketching seed pods can become addictive. I too still have some ideas to try, I think this is an ongoing theme for a lot of us.

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Love you sketches and all the styles you went through. I have pinned your polymer clay pods tutorial and will certainly give it a try! Looking forward to the new jewelry you're going to make!

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. What a wonderful post. So much to see, so much inspiration.
    I agree with Jill, I think seed pods will follow many of us for a good while!

    AntwortenLöschen
  4. I could look at your sketches ALL DAY LONG! I am in awe of your skills at capturing the shadows and shapes of objects and your seed pods are just lovely! Plus your painting exercises are so interesting. Always love your jpolly clay and ceramic pieces. Can't wait to see the jewelry you create with these.

    AntwortenLöschen
  5. I SO enjoy seeing into peoples sketchbooks (as that is NOT something I do or excel at) and most especially loved everything in yours. The monochromatic draw me as well even though I love color. I really like your ceramic pieces with the dainty stems and details. Thank you so much for sharing your process and your beads as well.

    AntwortenLöschen
  6. Claire! LOVE your drawings, I too would love to visit and just go through your sketchbooks! And the beads are awesome as well!

    AntwortenLöschen
  7. I just love your sketches! I too thought of aliens with the pod shape. I know you will take these ideas further and look forward to the process. The tutorial was perfect, thanks for sharing it!

    AntwortenLöschen
  8. Thanks for sharing how you use your sketchbook to influence your design process.

    AntwortenLöschen
  9. Your sketches are so inspiring. I loved reading about how you use them and translate the shapes.

    AntwortenLöschen
  10. Your sketches are so varied and beautiful - I agree, monochromes provide opportunities that colors do not. And the beads are pretty!

    AntwortenLöschen
  11. I love what you created Claire and I really enjoyed the journey through your sketch book and your creative process!

    AntwortenLöschen
  12. As always your work is beautiful and inspiring. I loved looking through your sketchbook.

    AntwortenLöschen
  13. I'm with the rest, Claire, in saying that I love ALL your sketches, you're a wonderful artist. I do have a preference for the blue/green watercolor ones though.
    Al

    AntwortenLöschen
  14. Love your sketches Claire...they always inspire and you clay work is lovely as always.

    AntwortenLöschen
  15. I always love and resonate with your clay pieces. But that virtual tour through your sketchbook? It was like a soothing break on your patio, time to slow down and enjoy, time to notice the details all around, revel in the color. It was relaxing and inspiring. I felt like I was there. Thank you.

    AntwortenLöschen
  16. Lovely doodles and clay components. Thanks for offering a sneak peak into your design world

    AntwortenLöschen
  17. I love looking through your sketchbook and seeing how ideas develop. Your work is stunning!

    AntwortenLöschen
  18. Thanks for the peek into your sketchbook... so much loveliness! I'm envious of your ability to sketch/paint something that actually looks like something! :)

    AntwortenLöschen
  19. All beautiful work, love your sketches. ♥

    AntwortenLöschen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails